Saturday, November 03, 2007

Social Justice and Cyberbullying

Two days ago I was a guest of ERBU-TV's Daily Connections. I wrote about the non-airtime that I spent there on my Truth, Lies, Rumors, and Rumbles blog, but I'd like to talk a bit about the guest who appeared before me. Unfortunately, I don't remember her name, but when the show airs it will also be on the web and I'll publish the link here.

She was a history professor at the College of New Jersey and was discussing social justice with host Meredith Parker. The question came up as who's job it is to ensure social justice. She answered that everyone must do their part.

I couldn't help but think that when it comes to cyberbullying, that is the ONLY way that any progress can be made. Everyone had to do their part to stop or prevent cyberbullying. That means speaking out when you see injustice, not taking part in any activities, and doing whatever you can to create a bully-free environment.

Teachers, parents, and adults or all ilks must educate themselves and pass the message on to kid. Kids must realize that participating in these activities is just plain wrong and real people are hurt. Refusal to participate is just a start, but standing by silently when they see injustice is not enough. Some kind of positive actions needs to be taken, whether it's speaking out against the bully, offering support to the victim, or reporting the injustice to a responsible adult.

Yes, I'm asking a lot. Kids are kids and they pick on one another. I'm not diluting myself into believing a Utopia can be created. Maybe what I'm asking is Quixotic to the extreme, but that's the vision that's driving me and I will tilt at the cyberbullying windmill for the foreseeable future.

I'll be heading out to Hammond, IN tomorrow to spend a few days with students there talking about online safety and cyberbullying. Let's see if I can stay in the saddle. I'll let you know when I return.

Bookmark and Share
posted by Art @ 8:07 PM   0 comments

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home